Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentines Day Blues

I hate this holiday that is rearing its ugly head again tomorrow, and I'll tell you why.  It is so unfair and wrong to have a holiday created for the purpose of selling cards, candy and trinkets to people who are happy and in love.  And they market this holiday as if the only way you can be happy is if you are in love and a couple.  Well I'm here to tell you that I'm happy, and I'm not a couple and while I am in love it's very complicated so I'm not expecting any happy valentines this year, and it wouldn't be the first.

Am I bitter about my situation, No.  But I think that is mostly because I don't obsess about it, and I understand that I am responsible for my own happiness.  That no knight in shining armor, or writer geek in foggy glasses, or hot bad boy I can't say no to, is going to save me or make me happier than I am.  I'm responsible for my own depression or happiness.

But this HOLIDAY.  It bombards us with adds, and advertisements that remind us usually happy single folk that somehow we are not complete.  That somehow we need that partner to make our lives complete.  Don't buy into it.  Don't wait until a made up holiday about love reminds you to tell the loved ones in your life that you love them and care.  Boycott this holiday and don't teach it to your children, unless you teach the real story of St. Valentine, and before you nod, research this one too.  Boycott it!  For it sends two unhealthy messages to our children, 1.  That every February 14th is the day we tell our loved ones we love them.  Not every day, just this day.  and 2.  That you just aren't a complete, happy, successful person unless you are in love and a couple.

I'm tempted to keep the TV off and stay off-line, just because I don't want to be reminded of how obviously miserable I am as a three times divorced, single parent that is hopelessly in love with a man that is unavailable.  How could I be happy.?

Refer to paragraph one, I am happy, and I refuse to let the media dictate my emotions or play with them or tell me how to spend my money in hopes of getting that happy ending, that I ALREADY HAVE.

So gentlemen, and ladies, think about that before you give her that stupid heart shaped box (reference Nirvana song) or the cheap card, (I'd rather you wrote something from your heart on any other random day) or the small velvet box she's been waiting for.  Pick any other day but this one to show your love and devotion.  It will mean so much more, trust me.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment