Sunday, August 22, 2010

What Makes Someone a Friend?

I was wondering what to write about this morning when I came upon this quote by Friedrich Nietzsche, "Rejoicing in our joy, not suffering over our suffering, is what makes someone a friend." And I couldn't help but agree and knew I had to immediately pass it on to you.

I'm a firm believer in lending and ear or a shoulder when a friend is sad, and listening and trying to relate or comfort. But I'm completely against it when a friend 'feeds your fire' instead. . . the misery loves company rule is not the mark of a good friend. Good friends pick you up when you are down, not push into the ground further. And idol gossip is evil and for the small minded. People who talk only about other people have very little on their minds, and care very little for others.

Think about this the next time a friend comes to you with a heartbreaking story or even just a bad day. Try to think about what you would want that friend to say to you, put yourself in their shoes. (Always a good idea in life when dealing with anyone, friend or foe)

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment